loading
X
Photo of Anchor

grid reference TL 873 412

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

listed building grade II


CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.


last updated 18/09/2017

Sudbury Anchor

also traded as as: Anchor Hotel

historical era: 21st century

opened 1450

closed 2010/2011

last owner Enterprise

2 Friars St, CO10 2AA

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Public transport | Map

A lively town centre pub which was, at the time it closed, the oldest remaining pub in town, dating from the 16th or 17th century (it may have been part of the adjacent White Hart at some point). It had 3 letting rooms. Shakespeare once played at the pub.

It has now been converted to retail use, having been boarded up and empty for some time.

Part of the building was damaged in the serious fire which engulfed several adjacent buildings in September 2015.

It's shown as an un-named hotel on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map

old OS map


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.