previously known as Horseshoes, Three Horse-Shoes
The Street, IP7 5LW
grid reference TM 050 385
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 28/03/2016
Reported as closed in Last Orders*** in Jan 1981 after Tolly Cobbold had closed it at end of September 1980 as a tied house. They subsequently sold it with a license and it traded as a free house for some years until final closure in 1997.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Aug-01 in 1846 when Edward List was the landlord states that he had 2 pigs slaughtered at his house by a Mr Edward Dunthorne Double.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 28 Mar 1752 states : To be lett, the Three Horse-Shoes, in Redon, an old accustom'd Alehouse, within three miles of Hadleigh, in the road to Manningtree. Enquire of Mr Joseph Bragg in St Nicholas Parish, Ipswich or Mr Thomas Cundy at Layham.
In June/July 1981 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that the Chequers (Free House) was offering Adnams, Greene King & Tolly Cobbold beers on handpump.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.