loading
X
Photo of Bull

grid reference TM 088 551

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.

last updated 18/09/2017

Needham Market Bull

also traded as as: White Horse, Compasses

historical era: late 20th century

opened 1607

closed 1985

86 High St

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Public transport | Map

A high quality timber-framed house that is located close to the market square. It has been empty since closure.

(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)

The Bull was built late 15th or early 16th century as a Guildhall.

It was known as the White Horse from 1607-1770, and the Compasses from 1770-83. It became the Bull after 1784, when an inn of same name located opposite (now called the Limes) was closed and the sign was transferred.

The Bull is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map

old OS map


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)

(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.