grid reference TM 156 449Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 16/10/2017
Ipswich Hare & Hounds
also traded as as: Hare and the Houndshistorical era: 21st century
closed January 2011
30 Norwich Rd, IP1 2NJ
After several years of sporadically closing and reopening, this pub finally shut its doors in July 2010. The building is now used by nearby Coe's as a wedding shop.
It was a popular pre and post-match venue for football fans and was often the location of post-match violence according to reports in the local media.
It was listed in the Ipswich licensing records 1962-1977 as Hare and the Hounds.
At one time the final Hare & Hounds was two separate pubs; the Hare & Hounds (fronting Norwich Road, the lower section to the left when looking across Norwich Road) and the Grapes (the taller section on the corner and down Orford Street), listed variously at 1-3 Orford St and Regent St (Norwich Rd). We don't know when the two pubs merged, but it must have been after 1861 as we have census listings for both in that year.
It may also be listed at 32 Norwich Road.
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.