Photo of Stammerkin

grid reference TL 798 636

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

Little Saxham is part of the The Saxhams parish

CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.

last updated 19/05/2017

Little Saxham Stammerkin

historical era: ancient

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Public transport | Map

The village website says that it is not sure how old this pub is but it was shown on William Cowell’s map of Little Saxham of 1638, but without any detail. It is more clearly shown on a map of 1798, where it is called ‘Stamerkin’. At the time it was probably an inn. The field to the west of Stamerkin was called Pound Field and the publican’s name of Sier is written on it together with the area of 15½ acres, which is approximately correct today. The name ‘Pound Field’ suggests that Stamerkin may have been the most convenient last port of call for drovers taking their cattle to Bury market from the west. William Sier paid a yearly rent of £40-15-0 to the Bristol Estate for the “public house and garth”.

Sier died on 29th May 1813 at the age of 64. It is not known when the inn or public house became the Rectory, but it was possibly soon after the time of Sier’s death.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

Historical detail from village website at http://www.little-saxham.suffolk.gov.uk/history/rectory.shtml