loading
X
Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.

last updated 22/09/2017

Stowmarket Hat and Feather

historical era: ancient

opened about 1674

closed about 1772

Overview | Historical info

The pub is mentioned in the deeds of the Independent Meeting House [now URC church] in the early 1700s as standing to the left of the meeting House site. Earliest mention is in 1674 when it was owned by a John North, his daughter Margaret married the John Crane mentioned. In 1755 it was advertised to let "consisting of 5 lower rooms 4 chambers 2 large cellars a wine vault and 3 stables with a handsome garden" last mention of it is 1772. The building was much later premises of H. Gooding plumber and decorator.from Neil Langridge


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)