CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 14/01/2017
Hacheston Kings Headhistorical era: ancient
closed 1820 circa
We currently know nothing about this pub except for a couple of newspaper reports:
To be sold by private contract, that messuage or tenement, (now called the King's Head,) with garden, stable, granary, and other convenient outbuildings belonging to the same. Also, about 4 acres of excellent arable land, in a good state of cultivation. The above premises are copyhold upon the manor of Parham Hall, situated at Hacheston, by the side of the road leading from Wickham Market to Framlingham. The stable being brick built, and in a good state of repair, might be easily converted into a double cottage. The house will be sold as a private house, as the license will not be renewed after the present term; and John Brookes, the tenant, will have notice to quit at Michaelmas.Ipswich Journal, March 1820**
A second advertisement of the sale appeared in August of the same year where further details were given as follows; the King's head consists of a good kitchen, cellar, 2 parlours, bar, backhouse, and sundry chambers over the same, a good garden of 5 acres (more or less). It was also suggested that these premises would be well worth their attention of a working gardener or nurseryman, or any other persons looking for room.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
NOTE: A messuage equates to a dwelling-house and may include outbuildings, orchard, curtilage or court-yard and garden - this may have been an earlier structure to the current property.