Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.

last updated 12/01/2017

Bury St Edmunds Wellington

historical era: ancient

closed 1824 (10 Oct)

Sparhawk st

Wellington Public House, Sparhawk Street, BSE, to be sold by Auction on 12 Oct 1824. Particulars from Mr Robert LAMBERT, on the Premises - All those capital & substantial buildings, comprising the messuage, which is now, and until 10th of the present month, will be, used as the Wellington Public House, and the stables & other Outbuildings, belonging thereto, together with the Yards & Appurtenances, the whole extending in length of frontage about 70 feet. The messuage & buildings are in excellent repair, and are well-adapted for conversion to purposes of Trade, or into respectable Dwellings or Cottages. Under the House & Premises are very extensive and excellent arched & other cellars.Ipswich Journal, October 6th 1824***

NOTE: A messuage equates to a dwelling-house and may include outbuildings, orchard, curtilage or court-yard and garden.

To be sold by auction freehold building land, embracing about an acre and a quarter, in the immediate vicinity of the cattle market, Bury St Edmunds. Full licensed public house known as the Wellington, two dwelling houses and a warehouse, in St Andrews Street, in one or three lots.Ipswich Journal, February 1875**

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)