loading
X
Photo of Empire Hotel

grid reference TM 542 914

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.

last updated 18/09/2017

Lowestoft Empire Hotel

historical era: Victorian / Edwardian

opened July 1900

closed about 1915

Kirkley Cliff Rd

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Public transport | Map

When built, this hotel was reputedly one of the finest in England, fitted with electric lighting and lifts to all floors, a library and restaurants. It was also said to have had as many rooms as days of the year and could accommodate over 300 guests.

It was also listed at Kirkley, in 1900.

During the Great War it was converted into a hospital for troops and afterwards was acquired by the Metropolitan Asylum Board and used as a sanatorium from 1921. The converted building began operation on 9th May 1922 as St Luke's hospital and provided 200 beds for adult surgical TB cases. St Luke's finally closed in about 1955.

The building was subsequently demolished in 1958.

It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map

old OS map


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.


Note

(some of these details from a book "A century of Lowestoft" by Ian G. Robb published in 1999 by Sutton Publishing)