loading
X
Photo of Golden Lion

grid reference TM 231 740

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.

last updated 18/09/2017

Stradbroke Golden Lion

also traded as as: Red Lion, Lion beer house

historical era: Victorian / Edwardian

closed 1913?

Queen St

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Public transport | Map

NOTE : There is an earlier inn called the White Lion - we do not yet know if the two pubs are connected.

Having examined all available Hoxne licensing records (1913-1968) without finding any reference to this pub, we conclude it must have closed before 1913.

There is an un-named beerhouse run by Sarah Voller, whose license expired in 1913. This was probably the one, as the 1910 Rate book lists Alice Voller as the licensee.

In 1861 the Golden Lion was listed at Queens Head Street.


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)