loading
X
Photo of Vulcan Arms

grid reference TM 048 587

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.

last updated 15/11/2017

Stowmarket Vulcan Arms

historical era: Victorian / Edwardian

opened about 1864

closed 1913

37 Bury St

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Public transport | Map

The Vulcan Arms was located close to James Woods' Suffolk Iron Works.

The pub is also listed at 41 Bury Street (with 7 boarders) in 1891. It was owned by Tollemache brewers after 1896.

The last tenant, John Potter, retired and continued living in premises until 1927.

The building was bought by W & C.Simpson in 1919.

For many years it was Simpsons toy shop, though that has now closed down.


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)


Note

Vulcan is the Roman god of fire and metal working.