loading
X
Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.

last updated 08/01/2017

Needham Market Crown

historical era: ancient

opened 1547 circa

closed 1749

36 High St

Overview | Historical info | Public transport | Map

The inn was located adjacent to Christchurch (on the Ipswich side). In 1607 it had 3 rooms, a brew house, 3 rooms to the rear (the backhouse), a stable, a 2 bay hay-house, a garden and private lane (leading to a house). Sometime soon after Thomas and Mary Love inherited the property in 1679 the house was destroyed by fire and then substantially rebuilt.

Most of the property was destroyed by a German bomb which was dropped on the town in 1942. The site is now used as a car-park.

(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)