loading
X
Photo of Oak

grid reference TL 769 463

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.

last updated 18/09/2017

Clare Oak

also traded as as: Royal Oak

historical era: mid 20th century

closed approx 1958?

Chilton Rd

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Public transport | Map

This is shown as a pub (the Oak) on OS maps at least as late as 1958, but not on the 1959 or subsequent sheets, so must have closed about this time.

Beerhouse The Oak is listed in the 1881 census at 11 Chapel Road.

The Royal Oak is listed in Chapel Street in 1891 and Snow Hill in 1901.

It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map

old OS map


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.