Photo of Swan

grid reference TM 119 423

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

Washbrook is part of the Copdock & Washbrook parish

CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.

last updated 18/11/2017

Washbrook Swan

also traded as as: Black Boy, New Black Boy

historical era: Victorian / Edwardian

opened early 18th century

closed about 1870

Swan Hill

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Public transport | Map

It is understood that the left-hand side of this building (painted darker than the rest) was the Swan pub, while the right-hand side was, and is, a farmhouse.

It appears that the alehouse was rebuilt between 1712 and 1744, when it was rechristened "new". Almost certainly the house was rebuilt by Samuel King, and probably it was he who changed it to an inn, with the name which is still in use 250 years later.

(Information supplied from R G Pipe)

In 1712 Jacob Garrod was the proprietor of the black Boy at Washbrook. An entry in the Court Book of the manor of Amor Hall dated 1820 records that James Turner of Little Wenham, farmer (by JM Syer, his attorney) held a messuage formerly called the Black Boy "and now called the Swan", formerly John Kettle, then Samuel King, wine merchant of Ipswich. From an earlier entry in the Court Book we know that John Kettle held in 1744.

In 1781 an advertisement appeared in the Suffolk Chronicle as follows: "Removed to the sign of the Swan in Washbrook for conveiniency, and to be sold by hand, on the 7th May 1781" a good waggon, a tumbrell, two ploughs, cart harness, dutins and many other implements in the farming way; likewise a brewing copper and other brewing utensils, a washing copper and kitchen fire range."

When the Turnpike Trustees were in the habit of meeting at the Copdock White Elm they were asked by Robert Hearn whether they would not give the Swan a turn. For a time they met at the two inns alternately, but a few years later the Trust was wound up, the Trustees meeting in the Ipswich office of their solicitors, Josselyns, for the last few times.

Hearne's daughter married William Shulver, and they took over the inn when Robert retired. Their son was christened William Flood Minter.

In 1812 the innkeeper was William Shulver, who married Ann Lott. Robert Hearne purchased the property from James Turner in 1829, and a former owner is named as Woodcock. A rent of 6s 8d annually was payable to the manor.

In 1862 Ann Hearn of Wrentham inherited the property, which was then occupied by William Minter from 1840. He was followed by William Grieves, who only stayed only one year, to be suceeded by John Robert Dawson. By this time the business had dwindled, most of the income probably being derived from the malting and brewing which Dawson advertised in 1868.

Mrs Venn converted the house for her own use and was there in 1885. She called it the Limes. In 1892 Spencer Freeman was in residence, and by 1908 Henry Owen Ranson began to farm the land which had been demense land of the manor and was let to James martin of the White Elm. From this time Swan Farm existed but an amusing lapse occured in the directory for 1922 when Everitt and Pudney were said to be at the Limes.

(Information supplied from R G Pipe)

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of he londonpublichouse.com)