loading
X
Photo of Zulu

grid reference TM 160 441

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.

last updated 05/01/2017

Ipswich Zulu

also traded as as: Cardinal's Head

historical era: mid 20th century

closed March 22nd, 1965

last owner Tolly Cobbold

18 Wolsey St

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Public transport | Map

The Zulu was originally only licensed as a beerhouse; the Ipswich licensing records show that the Zulu got its full license on February 29th 1960.

Since closure it's been demolished.

Mrs E Wright (pictured in gallery) was the last landlady and also was landlady here for over 50 years. She also had 6 children, 4 of whom were girls who later also ran Ipswich pubs, an extraordinary family achievement.

Ivy (and husband Archie) ran the Mountain Ash

Ruby (and husband Bill) ran the Water Lily

Winnie (and husband Buster) ran the Railway Tavern.

Daphnie (and husband Hubie) ran the Trafalgar

(their other two children were Violet & Sammy)

Mary Atthowe (nee Girling) was running the Tavern in 1881 after her husband, Ambrose died. She was about 57 at the time and had a female servant living there with her. By 1891 she had 'retired' to 14 Wolsey St.


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(detailed information from Jean Richardson)

Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.