CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/07/2018
Ipswich Griffinhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed July 8th, 1907
2 Handford Rd
The pub's closure date is recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
Laura Westley was under the influence of drink and dancing to a crowd at Hyde Park Corner. She was taken into custody and fined 2s 6d. Laura Enemy of the Griffin beerhouse, The Mount, pleaded guilty to obstructing the police and endeavouring to liberate Laura Westley. Fined 10s 6d or 7 days.Ipswich Journal, April 14th 1900** (when Laura Enemy was the landlady)
On the evidence of the story above and the Ipswich Rate book, which notes "license lost", it was evidently not a well-run pub.
The pub has also been listed at the Mount, which ran roughly from what's now the east end of Handford Road through to the junction of Elm Street and Black Horse Lane).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(Petty Sessions info from Ipswich Journal - Kim Jennings)
A griffin is a fabulous monster - half eagle and half lion - popular in heraldry and often spelt griffon or gryphon.