grid reference TM 158 448Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 09/11/2017
Ipswich Golden Fleece Hotel
also traded as as: Fleecehistorical era: mid 20th century
opened 18th century
closed September 29th, 1962
last owner Tolly Cobbold
46 St Matthew's St
The Golden Fleece was demolished, having been acquired by Ipswich Corporation by Compulsory Purchase Order.
It was listed in 1874 as the "Golden Fleece Commercial Hotel & posting house".
Bull baiting once a popular pastime in the yard here until 1805.
The inn is shown on this OS town plan of 1884.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The fleece is a common reference to the wool trade that was very important in Suffolk, particularly in 17th & 18th cent. until cheap imports from the colonies undermined the trade.