grid reference TL 828 473Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 18/09/2017
Glemsford Greyhoundhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
42 Egremont St
The pub building dates from the 16th or 17th century. Today it's called called Greyhound Cottage.
Evidently the pub must have closed in or just before 1911, if this press cutting is any indication:
Mr J.Pettit has bought the former Greyhound Inn at Glemsford for £185, the licence having been refused.Suffolk Free Press, August 30th 1911**
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
Old pictures from http://www.foxearth.org.uk
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.