Bungay Green Dragon
previously known as Horse & Groom
29 Broad St, NR35 1EE
grid reference TM 334 899
owner Rob Pickard
- 11-3, 5-11
- 11-12 Fri + 12-12 Sat;
- 12-3, 7-11 (Sun)
regular real ales
Green Dragon Chaucer, Dragon Gold, Bridge Street + seasonal beer [H]
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Bungay is Waveney district
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 14/07/2015
This is Bungay's only brewpub (since 1991) and is located on the north side of town and consisting of a separate public bar and lounge with an attached third room which usually provides some sanctuary when the bars are crowded.
Green Dragon beers are brewed in outbuildings adjacent to the car park located at the rear. Occasional bottled conditioned beers and strong ales are also brewed which compliment their quality draught ales.
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Traditional separate public bar
Pub sells beer from local brewers
Traditional pub games available
Real coal or log fire
Children are welcome
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
The green dragon may be a reference to the Earl of Pembroke and appears on their coat of arms. William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk was an important medieval English soldier and commander in the Hundred Years' War and later Lord Chamberlain of England. He was created Earl of Pembroke in 1447 and Duke of Suffolk in 1448.