grid reference TM 254 702Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
- Closed Mon & Tue;
- 6-11 Wed-Thur;
- 5-11 Fri
- 12 - 2, 6 - 11 Sat;
- 12 - 4 Sun
- 6.00-8:45 Wed & Thu;
- 5-8:45 Fri;
- 12-1:45, 6-8:45 Sat;
- 12-2 Sun
regular real ales
Adnams Bitter plus [H]
Varies but may include Earl Soham or Cliff Quay
Local licensing authority for Brundish is Mid Suffolk
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.
last updated 22/06/2017
Real Ale is available here
Tannington Long Rd (B1118), IP13 8BE
A traditional drinking pub in a Suffolk "long house" style building which dates in part from the 16th century.
The main bar retains a splendid barrel shaped lathe and plaster ceiling, tiled flooring and two small settles, whilst the modernised second bar is now used as a lounge. An open fire in main room and wooden panelling with dado railing throughout.
The conservatory, which has been re-floored is now being used as a sitting/reading room with comfortable chairs. The old lounge and restaurant is now fully an eating area with an extensive menu. The food is prepared with all ingredients locally sourced and cooked by the landlord. There is also an excellent bar menu.
Fish and chip nights every Friday between 5pm and 6.45pm, eat in or take away. The bar opens at 5pm. that evening. After 7pm. it reverts to the normal restaurant and bar menus.
Beer is served on gravity from a wooden back-bar. Ask about the "coffin hatch" in lounge.
Dogs are welcome in the main bar and conservatory, as long as they're on a lead.
There is a very well tended garden which is popular in the summer months.
The Crown is one of the very few Suffolk pubs where you can still see poker dice played on the counter and hear genuine High Suffolk Plain accents!
Beer served through handpulls
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Separate public bar
Traditional pub games available
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The crown is a simple sign to show loyalty to the reigning monarch and apart from the commonwealth era (1648-60) has been a pub sign for over 600 years.