1 Real Ale pub
Edwardstone in Domesday
Population (2011) of Edwardstone: 352.
Local licensing authority for Edwardstone is Babergh.
Edwardstone is set in the undulating countryside close to the river Box, with most of the buildings set around Mill green. The village was recorded in Domesday as "Eduardestuna". More recently the village name was spelled "Edwardston"; according to Charlie Haylock, the final "e" was added by cartographers who were paid by the letter. The locals' pronunciation of the village name reflects this older variation, they say Edw'dst'n. It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Edwardſton".
Priory Farm marks the site of a Benedictine priory founded in 1114 but abandoned about 1160.
The (now closed) village school was built in 1853 and cost the princely sum of £250.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.