1 Real Ale pub
1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Earl Soham: 455.
Local licensing authority for Earl Soham is Suffolk Coastal.
About Earl Soham
Set in a valley, with two small greens and one larger central green, Earl Soham was recorded in Domesday as "Saham" and is shown on John Speed's 1610 map as "Erleſoham".
The settlement was once owned by the Bigods, Earls of Norfolk, hence the name. Earl Soham Brewery was originally behind the Victoria, then expanded to new premises a short distance to the east, before moving in 2013 to its current location in Debenham.
Mill Hill marks the site of a late 17th century post mill which worked until 1917 and was demolished in 1947, though some parts were incorporated into a home. Another post mill off Low Road was also demolished in 1947.
The A1120 through the village follows the route of an old Roman road. Unusually for such a road, it isn't completely straight - the kink being due to a lake that was in the way.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.