1 Real Ale pub
Population (2011) of Badwell Ash: 770.
Local licensing authority for Badwell Ash is Mid Suffolk.
About Badwell Ash
Undoubtedly the most significant event in the village's history was the Great Fire of Badwell Ash, on the 7th of July 1723. On that day, virtually the whole village was burned down, leaving 388 families homeless. Only ten buildings remained after the fire - including only half of the White Horse. Interestingly, the Ash part of the village name pre-dates the fire; the village appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Badwellaſhe".
The village was originally called "Little Ashfield". It's claimed that on New Year's eve a ghostly coach and horses passes along the road to Walsham, with observers meeting their own end soon afterwards. The village sign, erected in 2014, also serves as the village's war memorial. A putative Early Saxon Pagan settlement has been inferred from the amount of pottery found near Shackerland Hall in 1955.
Unusually, there doesn't appear to have been an entry for Badwell Ash in Domesday.
 The newly-created village history group has been researching the fire and they believe it's possible that it actually never happened. It will be interesting to see what more they can find.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.