1 Real Ale pub
temporarily closed premises
Population (2011) of Corton: 1099.
Local licensing authority for Corton is Waveney district.
Corton is a popular holiday resort to the North of Lowestoft. Great sand cliffs line the coastline, while the nearby Pleasurewood Hills theme park provides our future beer drinkers with other forms of entertainment. Holiday centres dominate the coastal side of the village, while inland it's quieter and more rural.
Corton Station was on the Yarmouth to Lowestoft line. It opened in July 1903 and closed in May 1970. Mill Lane marks the location of a six storey tower mill, built in 1837. It had stopped working by the beginning of the Great War; the remains are used for storage. Sir John Clayton had two lighthouses built in Corton between 1669 and 1675. They ceased being used in 1678.
The village was recorded in Domesday as "Karetuna".
Historically, located to the east of Corton, was the parish of Newton - now all lost to the sea.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.