The tower of the church and various other local buildings are made from local red crag bricks. The old brickyard was where a 20m skeleton of a whale was also once found - presumably it had swum up the river?
A polo ground was created in Chillesford in 1936; it attracted many famous players, such as Jimmy Edwards. It was ploughed up in the late 1950s, after the owner was trampled to death by ponies during a game.
The village was recorded in Domesday as "Cesefortda".
Estimated population (2009) of Chillesford: 130
Local licensing authority for Chillesford is Suffolk Coastal