1 ancient pub
Cavendish in Domesday
Population (2011) of Cavendish: 1026.
Local licensing authority for Cavendish is St Edmundsbury.
Cavendish is one of our prettiest villages, on the upper reaches of the Stour. It was recorded in Domesday variously as "Kanavadis", "Kavanadisc" and "Kanauadis". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Candiſhe"
The church and thatched cottages have appeared on many chocolate boxes and earned "best kept village" awards. The village also has a lovely green.
In 1381 local peasants, incited by Wat Tyler, burnt the mansion of Sir John Cavendish then Lord chief Justice of England. Sir John was later beheaded by a mob in Bury St Edmunds and avenged by his son who eventually killed Tyler at Smithfield. This is depicted on the reverse of the village sign (see gallery).
Nether Hall is the home of Cavendish Manor vineyard which has a shop and information centre.
Cavendish Station was on the Stour Valley Railway, which ran from Shelford (near Cambridge) to Marks Tey. (The stretch between Sudbury and Marks Tey still runs). The station opened in August 1865 and closed in March 1967.