1 ancient pub
Cattawade is part of Brantham parish.
Population (2011) of Brantham parish: 2566.
Local licensing authority for Cattawade is Babergh.
Cattawade (also known as Brantham New Village) is strictly part of Brantham parish and is often listed there, though it forms a distinctly separate settlement. It's mainly a former industrial area with some housing, on the north bank of The River Stour.
An 18th century bridge still crosses Cattawade creek, though this was a bridging spot for centuries before that time; John Speed's 1610 map shows "Catiwade bridge" here and Daniel Defoe describes it being used during the 1648 Siege of Colchester, as well as telling of how he crossed a "timber bridge over the Stour, called Cataway Bridge" in his 1722 tour of the Eastern Counties.
Britain's first and only Xylonite (the original patent name for cellulose) works was opened in Cattawade in 1870 on a site off Factory Lane. Its products were made into such items as paper-knife handles, hairpin boxes and billiard balls. An adjacent factory manufactured photographic film for Ilford. Houses in and around Brookland Road were built as "Brantham New Village" to accommodate workers at the Xylonite factory. One Margaret Roberts was employed here as a chemist before going on to greater notoriety after she married and became Margaret Thatcher.
The factory site is currently a scene of sad dereliction, though there is talk of redevelopment.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.