1 Real Ale pub
Carlton in Domesday
Carlton is part of Kelsale cum Carlton parish.
Population (2011) of Kelsale cum Carlton parish: 990.
Local licensing authority for Carlton is Suffolk Coastal.
Carlton's main settlement is east of the A12 and centred round a Guildhall built in 1495. Court House is now used as a retirement home but retains 12th century dungeons once occupied by prisoners sentenced by Dunwich court.
The disused Skouldings Mill can still be seen on Rosemary Lane, not far from the pub. It dates from 1856.
Carlton was recorded in Domesday as "Carletuna".
Carlton forms a parish with the adjacent Kelsale; we know of no maps showing the boundary between the two, so differentiating what's where is difficult.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.