Where pubs have been renamed, we usually list only the most recent known name here. Other names can be found in the Pub list tab. (For closed pubs which only traded for a short time under a newer name, we generally list them under the longer-established name) Ancient pubs are defined as those which are believed to have closed before the middle of the 19th century.
Bungay in Domesday
Population (2011) of Bungay: 5127.
Local licensing authority for Bungay is Waveney district.
This attractive Waveney Valley town is centred around the ruins of Bigod's castle and is now by-passed by the A143. It was recorded in Domesday as "Bongeia" or "Bunghea". The fine 17th century Butter Cross in the marketplace shows the former importance of the market which has been held by charter since 1228. Much of the town was destroyed by fire in 1688, which explains the wealth of Georgian buildings. Local industry includes printing, textiles and tourism; Clays is one of the country's biggest printers, producing some 175 000 000 books every year. Nursey's, a famous local producer of sheepskin clothes, closed down at the end of 2014.
Baron Bigod is a well-regarded, unpasteurised soft cheese produced at Fen Farm on Flixton Road. The farm also produces unpasteurised butter and milk; all three can be bought from vending machines at the farm gate.
Bungay Station was on the Waveney Valley Line. It opened in November 1860 and closed in August 1964, though passenger traffic ceased in January 1953. It was replaced by the A143.
Bungay Museum can be found on Broad Street.
RAF Bungay was one of the earliest local sites to be allocated to the USAF, who were flying B24 (Liberator) planes here from late 1942. It eventually became home of 446 Bomber Group - otherwise known as the "Bungay Buckeroos" - one of the most renowned units of the of 2nd Bomb Division. In all 273 missions were flown here until closure in April 1945, with a loss of 58 aircraft to enemy action and 28 due to other causes.
According to Abraham Fleming, Bungay was a place where "We tumble still upon the bed of wantonness, drink ourselves drunk with the wine of sensuality and lie wallowing in the sink of sodomitic sin."
Some details from "Suffolk Airfields in WW2" by Graham Smith.