Population (2011) of Somerton: 212.
Local licensing authority for Somerton is Babergh.
Now a dry parish, Somerton was recorded in Domesday as "Sumerledetuna". In Anglo-Saxon times it was known as Somertun, meaning Summer Town. It's a halfway point on the Clare to Bury St Edmunds walk.
Four almshouses (see gallery) were built as the gift of the late Miss Finetta Sarah Hale in 1912