Population (2011) of Burgate: 160.
Local licensing authority for Burgate is Mid Suffolk.
Rural parish close to Botesdale that includes a church to St Mary with a tower and five bells. Sir William de Burgate is entombed in the chancel. The village was recorded in Domesday as "Burgata" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Buddeldale".
An Iron Age settlement has been uncovered near the Wortham-Mellis road. A hoard of Roman coins was found by metal detectors between 1991 and 1994. Amongst the find were 167 siliquae. It's thought the hoard dates from about 410.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.