1 Real Ale pub
Aldringham is part of Aldringham cum Thorpe parish.
Population (2011) of Aldringham cum Thorpe parish: 759.
Local licensing authority for Aldringham is Suffolk Coastal.
Aldringham is set amongst coastal sandlings (some of which survive as North Warren nature reserve) The parish's most striking building is a medieval church set in the valley of the river Hundred.
Aldringham was recorded in Domesday as "Alrincham". It is also known as Aldringham cum Thorpe, but we have listed the coastal hamlet of Thorpeness separately. So far we have not been able to find a map showing the boundary between Aldringham and Thorpeness, so only the parish boundary appears on our map.
Sometimes the Kelsale Eight Bells may inadvertently be listed as part of this parish. Due to historically being in the same parish, the Thorpeness Crown may often be listed as being located in Aldringham.
The pub is reputedly the oldest building in the village, a craft centre is located opposite. It's also rumoured locally that an old smugglers' tunnel still runs from the pub to the church.
Hamo de Masey obtained a charter for a market and fair from Edward II in roughly 1296. Two fairs remained popular until Victorian times and were held on October 11th and December 11th.