loading
X

Nacton

Photo from Nacton

closed premises

Ancient pubs are defined as those which are believed to have closed before the middle of the 19th century.

Useful links

Population (2011) of Nacton: 757.


Local licensing authority for Nacton is Suffolk Coastal.

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Map

About Nacton

The village's name was defined by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd as the name of the letter "n" when used in place of the word "and", as in "bangers 'n' mash" or "fish 'n' chips".

The settlement was recorded in Domesday as "Nechetuna" or "Nachetuna".

The parish was once home of the Woodbridge Union Workhouse which used to house up to 810 inmates and also to two beautiful houses overlooking the river Orwell - Broke Hall (once home to Philip Broke, captain of Shannon, a frigate that distinguished itself against the US Chesapeake in 1813) - and Orwell Park (once home to Admiral Vernon and later George Tomline but today, still with its fine observatory, used as a private school).

Margaret Catchpole was born in Nacton in 1762.

In 1010 Ulfketel, Earl of East Anglia, fought a battle against the Danes at Seven Hills (today best known as an A14 interchange).

In 1839, the first ever steeplechase was run from the barracks in Ipswich to Nacton church.

Neolithic settlements have been found in a number of sites around Nacton.

Orwell Station, which served Nacton, closed in 1959. It was built where it was not for the convenience of the travelling public, but because it was handy for Colonel George Tomline, promoter of the Westerfield - Felixstowe line, who lived at Orwell Park.

NOTE: Admiral Edward Vernon was an 18th cent. naval hero who captured Porto Bello in Panama in 1739 (from the Spaniards) with just 6 ships. In 1740 Vernon ordered that his sailors' rum should be diluted with water and citrus juice, These daily doses of vitamin C improved the health of the sailors and prevented scurvy. Subsequently they called the new drink "grog" after Vernon's nickname "Old Grog" which was attributed to his habitual wearing of a grogram coat (stiffened fabric made of silk, mohair & wool). Later he was MP for Ipswich until his death in 1757.

NOTE: Colonel George Tomline (1813 - 1889) was an MP and a keen amateur astronomer who built an observatory at Orwell Park. Founder and chairman of the Felixstowe Railway and Pier Company which built the Felixstowe Branch Line and established the Port of Felixstowe.