Population (2011) of Monk Soham: 156.
Local licensing authority for Monk Soham is Mid Suffolk.
About Monk Soham
Small scattered settlement, recorded in Domesday as "Saham" and on John Speed's 1610 map as "Munekeſoham" The village name means "monks' meadow by a lake".
Formerly it belonged to the monks of Bury, by a gift of Alfric, bishop of East Anglia. It was then granted to Anthony Rous during the 37th year of the reign of Henry VIII and subsequently sold to Lionel Tolmach in about 1560.
An ancient deer park was recorded in the village in a survey of 1575. No visible signs of it remain. A post-medieval windmill used to stand to the north of the village, apparently of an unusual design. It was demolished either in 1937 or the late 1940s (sources differ). Another post medieval-windmill is reported to have stood to the south on Low Road, but no physical evidence exists.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.