1 putative ex pub
Population (2011) of Hacheston: 345.
Local licensing authority for Hacheston is Suffolk Coastal.
A large Romano-British Settlement was located here, recorded in Domesday as "Hecetuna", "Hacestuna" or "Haetcetuna". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Hachston". The core of this "small town" was established before the Roman conquest (AD43), and seems to consist of circular buildings, enclosed by ditches and a palisade.
Lower Hacheston is a small settlement to south of main village which is now also divided from the rest of the parish by the A12 bypass.
During the later 1st cent. a gravel road was laid out and insubstantial rectangular Roman buildings were erected alongside it. This basic layout continued throughout the Roman period, with a droveway and partial field enclosures to the south. Pottery was manufactured at Hacheston from later 1st to mid 3rd cents, and excavation has found iron smithing debris and related structures. However the site had become extremely impoverished by 370AD with a marked drop in activity.
Early Anglo-Saxon structures have also been found just outside the Roman settlement.
Mill Lane marks the site of a five storey tower mill which was demolished in 1925.
Hacheston Halt was a station on the Framlingham branch line. It stood approximately 60m east of the Queen's Head (set back from the road) and closed in November 1952.
The annual Hachfest is a sizeable music festival.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.