loading
X

Worlingworth

Photo from Worlingworth

temporarily closed premises

closed premises

1 ancient pub

Ancient pubs are defined as those which are believed to have closed before the middle of the 19th century.

Useful links

Population (2011) of Worlingworth: 802.


Local licensing authority for Worlingworth is Mid Suffolk.

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Map

About Worlingworth

According to

A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, between 1844 and 1912 the parish had 4 pubs and 1 beerhouse. So we clearly have a few to find...

Several Roman remains have been made around Stanway green. The font cover is said to be from Bury abbey. Also housed in the church is a fire-engine from 1760 (last used on 5 Nov 1927) and a 15 foot long spit which was used to roast a 50 stone ox during George III's golden jubilee celebrations. The church is also notable for the great span of the double hammer-beam roof.

Mill Road marks the site of two windmils; the New Mill, a post mill moved here from Hasketon circa 1850. It was demolished about 1950. The Old Mill dated from 1730. It was redundant by 1908 and demolished in 1942.

Worlingworth Station stood at the junction of Water Lane and Fingal Street; it was on the Mid-Suffolk line (Middy) which ran from Haughley to Laxfield.

The village was recorded in Domesday as "Wyrlingwortha".

The Listed Buildings Register claims that School House (in Shop Street) was "at one time a shop and The Crown public house". However, communications with the village history group suggest that although it almost certainly was once a shop (possibly a butcher's), there's no evidence of it having been a pub.

Acknowledgements

Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.