1 Real Ale pub
1 Fizz-only pub
1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Woolpit: 1995.
Local licensing authority for Woolpit is Mid Suffolk.
Set just off the A14 this settlement probably takes its name from Wolves, not wool, with the last known wolves in England supposedly being killed in a pit near here. It was recorded in Domesday as "Wlfpeta" and on John Speed's 1610 map as "Wulpet".
In medieval times a market was held here together with cattle and horse fairs. The shrine of the Virgin St Mary was a popular stopping point for pilgrims on their way to Walsingham Abbey, and a local spring was renowned for its healing properties.
From the 17th cent. The area became an important manufacturing centre for "Suffolk White" bricks but today only the pits remain. At one time a tramway linked the brickworks with nearby Elmswell Station.
A local legend from the 12th cent. Tells of two green children coming out of the ground at harvest time. The boy died soon after but the girl lived on, lost her green colour and eventually married a man from Lynn. She told of coming from a land of perpetual twilight, beyond a great river and crawling through a hole into the harvest field when they heard church bells, but could not get back.
Mill Lane marks the site of a post mill which was demolished about 1924. Another mill, which fell down in 1963, stood in Windmill Avenue.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.