Where old pubs have been renamed, we list only the most recent known name here. Other names can be found in the Pub list tab. Ancient pubs are defined as those which are believed to have closed before the middle of the 19th century.
This parish comprises 11 greens, scattered over 5 miles of rolling boulder clay countryside. The settlement is diverse, with a good mixture of old and new. The external wall of the church features a stone carving of an Anglo-Saxon figure holding a sword and shield. The village was recorded in Domesday as "Wicham".
Bullock's Mill was a post mill built at Thorns about 1830. It was demolished about 1914; some remains can still be seen. Another mill stood on the road towards Hargrave until 1920. A third mill dating from the 18th century, stood in the south of the parish near Denston until 1969.
Lidstone's brewed in Wickhambrook between 1998 and 2002, when they moved to North Yorkshire and became Wensleydale brewery.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.