temporarily closed premises
10 closed premises
1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Wickham Market: 2156.
Local licensing authority for Wickham Market is Suffolk Coastal.
About Wickham Market
The market place still acts as a focal point but is now used as a car-park for this large, mainly dormitory village. The market was actually quite short lived and functioned mainly in the 14th and 15th cents. Many local buildings have Georgian style, white brick facades. Close to the river Deben, a Victorian watermill together with its race is well preserved.
The main post of of Posford Gibbet can still be seen in a wood close to the road to Hacheston. The gibbet was probably last used in 1699; Jonah Snell was apparently the last man to be hanged here. The hill up to the Gibbet is still known as Dragarse Hill after he was dragged by his arse up the hill to be hanged for murder.
Mill Lane marks the site of a small smock mill, built in 1774.It had ceased working by 1882 and was abandoned and deteriorated into a ruinous condition until restored as holiday accomodation about 10 years ago. Wickham Mill (AKA Deben Mill) still stands on the river. It dates from the 18th century.
Wickham Market was recorded in Domesday as "Wik(h)am".
Wickham Market railway station is actually a couple of miles away at Campsea Ashe. The station was named Wickham Market because when the railway was built, the developers were desperate to make out that they served every major location in the area, but were too tight to spend the money necessary to divert the route through that village. There is talk of renaming the station to more accurately reflect its location.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)