1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Westerfield: 442.
Local licensing authority for Westerfield is Suffolk Coastal.
Predominantly modern housing and almost convergent with Ipswich - sometimes recorded as "Westerfield-in-Ipswich". The parish was formed in 1894 under the Local Government act.
An earlier settlement was recorded in Domesday as "Westrefelda". The village appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Weſterfeild"
The village retains a railway station (East Suffolk line) which was the scene of a fatality in WW1 when a locomotive boiler blew-up. Westerfield was originally the western terminus for the Felixstowe branch line; for many years there was no direct connection between it and the West Suffolk line. The original terminus station still stands slightly behind platform 1 (see gallery).
Westerfield Green, which covered some 50 acres, was enclosed in 1808. On this green, George III once held a review of some 10 000 troops.
The two pubs are sometimes listed as part of Ipswich.