1 Real Ale pub
1 ancient pub
- Parish website
- Southwold railway trust
- Village website
- Wenhaston Archive Project
- Wenhaston Word
Wenhaston is part of Wenhaston with Mells Hamlet parish.
Population (2011) of Wenhaston with Mells Hamlet parish: 801.
Local licensing authority for Wenhaston is Suffolk Coastal.
Spread over the slopes of the Blyth valley, this may have been an important Roman site. It was recorded in Domesday as "Wenadestuna". The Deserted Mediaeval Village of Mells (or Melles) lies to the south; its church was still in use as late as 1450. We have so far been unable to find a map showing the boundary between Wenhaston and Mells Hamlet, so only the parish boundary appears on our map.
A sign to the north of the village marks the location of Wenhaston Station on the Southwold Railway, which ran from Halesworth to Southwold. The line opened in 1879 and closed in 1929. A post mill of unknown date, stood south of Blackheath Road until its demolition in about 1890. Some remains are still visible. A possible Romano-British settlement off Bramfield Road has been inferred from the large number of finds in that area.
It's been suggested that Sycamore Cottage may be an old pub - we haven't located it yet, so haven't added it. If it was a pub, it was before 1874, as we've checked licensing records back that far.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.