1 putative ex pub
Population (2011) of Walberswick: 380.
Local licensing authority for Walberswick is Suffolk Coastal.
An idyllic coastal village meandering downhill to the village green and foreshore of the river Blyth. Formerly a port of some importance, but today only tiny fishing boats and pleasure craft frequent the river. The magnificent St Andrews church helps to testify to former prosperity. Decline began in the 16th cent. with a series of severe fires and flooding. Today the area is mainly appreciated for the beach and large areas of marshland and heath. A footbridge over the Blyth links the village to Southwold harbour. An annual crab competition is very popular.
The original village sign was stolen in the 1980s and replaced with a "temporary" one. In the 1990s, it was bought by a London couple who had no idea there was a village of this name. When they found out in 2012, they returned the sign to the village. The village sign shows the "Walberswick Frigate",
Length: 80 feet; Beam 24 feet 6 inches; Draught 12 feet; Guns 22.
Built near the old quay at the bottom of 'Stocks Lane' for Cromwell's Commonwealth Navy and named "Basing" when launched in 1654.
Renamed "HMS Guernsey" in 1660 on the restoration of King Charles II to the throne.
Decommissioned from the Royal Navy in 1693.
Putative smugglers' tunnels were discovered in the 1920s, when the original Anchor pub was being demolished. The ruins of a small tower mill used for pumping, stand in the marshes east of East Hill. It dates from 1798 or earlier. It worked until 1940 and was used for target practice during the war; evidently the gunners weren't too accurate, as enough of it survived to be renovated in 1955. Unfortunately it was burned out in 1960. Another mill stood in the village (near Millfield Road) but was apparently blown down in 1924. A Deserted Mediaeval Village is thought to have stood to the south of the current settlement.
Walberswick Station was on the Southwold Railway, which ran from Halesworth to Southwold. The line opened in 1879 and closed in 1929. A footpath to Southwold follows the track-line.
The village appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Walderſwick".
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.