Trimley St Martin
1 Real Ale pub
other licensed premises
1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Trimley St Martin: 1942.
Local licensing authority for Trimley St Martin is Suffolk Coastal.
About Trimley St Martin
A linear settlement, running along the old Felixstowe to Ipswich road. Pottery discovered locally suggests that this was occupied in Roman times. The churches of the two parishes, St Martin and St Mary stand back to back in the same churchyard. The churchyard may be the site of an early wooden cross. Another local settlement, Alston, was wiped out by the Black Death.
The village sign shows Thomas Cavendish, who was born in the village in September 1560. A notorious privateer, Cavendish was the first man to command a ship on a trip to deliberately circumnavigate the globe (previous circumnavigators had done so accidentally).
Mill Lane marks the site of a post mill that was demolished about 1923. Another post mill, reputedly moved here from Dennington, stood on Kirton Road. It was mostly demolished in 1917, but some of the remains were incorporated into a house.
In 1943, a bombing decoy was built in Chelmondiston (at TM 225 377) , but designated Trimley St Martin, to deflect enemy bombing from coastal landing points under construction in preparation for the invasion of Normandy. See Pastscape for more information.
The Trimleys were recorded together in Domesday as "Tremelaia" or "Tremlega" and appear on John Speed's 1610 map as "Trimleis".
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.