Much of this rapidly expanded village comprises modern housing. It was a centre of unrest during the Peasant Revolts of 1381 and 1386. The railway station is close to the Fox & Hounds.
The village was recorded in Domesday variously as "Thurstanestuna", "Torstuna" and "Thurstuna". It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Thurſton".
Mill Lane marks the site of a post mill which was demolished in 1953.
Bartram's originally brewed in Thurston (from 1999) but moved to nearby Rougham in 2004.
Estimated population (2009) of Thurston: 3250
Local licensing authority for Thurston is Mid Suffolk
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.