loading
X

Boxford

Photo from Boxford
2 temporarily closed premises

1 putative ex pub

Ancient pubs are defined as those which are believed to have closed before the middle of the 19th century.

Useful links

Population (2011) of Boxford: 1221.


Local licensing authority for Boxford is Babergh.

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Map

About Boxford

Boxford is an attractive village set away from the A1071 main road and containing a mixture of historic and modern developments including a former Tudor grammar school. Many of the older buildings are set around the church of St Mary. One former resident of the White Hart was "Tornado Smith", a stunt-man who built his own "wall of death" in the pub yard. See the pub details for more information.

The Grade II listed Boxford Stores, in Swan Street, is believed to be the UK's oldest shop, having supposedly been a shop since 1420, though the Listed Buildings Register says it dates only from the 16th or 17th centuries.

The name doesn't come from a ford on the River Box, it comes from box trees which stood at the ford. The river was evidently named after the village

Boxford is listed in Domesday under its original name, Koddenham.

Boxford Grammar School got its charter in 1596, but had existed at least 40 years by that time. It apparently ceased operation by the early 19th century, if not earlier.

Stone Street is a small settlement in the parish, south of the A1071.

Acknowledgements

Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.