1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Stutton: 812.
Local licensing authority for Stutton is Babergh.
Stutton was recorded in Domesday as "Suttuna". The land between the village and Tattingstone has been flooded in modern times to create Alton reservoir. Water sports are now available locally and information centres have been constructed by the reservoir, just off the B1080 towards the east end of the village. There are pleasant walks to be enjoyed around the reservoir, to the river Stour and alongside the Elizabethan Sutton Hall. The watermill dates from the 17th century.
The Ancient House (see gallery) is a beautifully-pargetted house on Lower Street, close to the putative White Horse Inn.
The original war memorial didn't name the men who died during the wars. A new stone listing them was erected alongside it some time between September 2016 and March 2018 (see gallery).
In 1933, erosion of the riverbank exposed an Iron Age refuse pit. Many items were found, such as a bowl, a goat's skull and fragments of a stove. Wooden piles found at Graham's Wharf are believed to be the remains of a Post Medieval wharf structure.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.