4 closed premises
1 ancient pub
Population (2011) of Stradbroke: 1408.
Local licensing authority for Stradbroke is Mid Suffolk.
A large village whose name is sometimes spelled Stradbrook, encompassing a variety of architectural styles from the 14th century to the very modern. The village received a market charter in 1227 but had ceased to function by the 17th cent. An annual fair was also held from the 14th cent. The public swimming pool is an amenity currently on offer. Various small greens surround the village. Stradbroke was recorded in Domesday as "Stetebroc" or "Statebroc" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Stradbrok". The 1837 OS map has it as "Stradbrook". Although commonly pronounced "Strad-brook", locals pronounce it "Strad-BROKE".
Queen Street appears on OS maps in 1885 and 1904 as "Queen's Head Street", no doubt reflecting the fact that the pub of that name is there.
Evidence of an Iron Age or Romano-British field system has been found to the north of Ashfield Green.
Mill Lane marks the site of Pain's Windmill, a large post mill rebuilt in 1777, closed in 1937 and mostly demolished in 1942. Another mill stood on Battlesea Hill; little is known about it, it seems to have been demolished some time between 1886 and 1904.
Stradbroke Station, which stood on the Wilby Road, was on the Mid-Suffolk line (Middy) which ran from Haughley to Laxfield.
Hoxne Union Workhouse was located in Stradbroke and was built in 1834-35. It had room for about 350 inmates. During the Great War, it was used as a POW camp; most of it has since been demolished.
The village sign depicts Bishop Grosseteste (1168-1253), who was born in the village and became bishop of Lincoln in 1235. There is a university named after him in Lincoln.
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.