Population (2011) of Stonham Aspal: 601.
Local licensing authority for Stonham Aspal is Mid Suffolk.
About Stonham Aspal
Set on a former Roman road, excavation has revealed remains of a villa and bath house. The Bird of Prey and Conservation centre, based at Stonham Barns has an excellent collection of raptors housed in large aviaries (open daily).
Sewer excavations near the centre of the village in 1962 uncovered a Roman bath house with hypocaust and painted plaster. Pottery and coins from the 3rd and 4th centuries were also found. Further Roman remains have been found in the area of Thornbush Lane.
A small post mill stood on Scott's Hill. Most of it was demolished in 1909, but parts remain.
The village was sometimes historically referred to as Stonham Antegan. It appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Stonham aspoll".
Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.