loading
X

Stoke by Nayland

Photo from Stoke by Nayland

1 ancient pub

Ancient pubs are defined as those which are believed to have closed before the middle of the 19th century.

Useful links

Population (2011) of Stoke by Nayland: 682.


Local licensing authority for Stoke by Nayland is Babergh.

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Map

About Stoke by Nayland

Set in the heart of Constable Country this village is notable for its many fine buildings, including the 16th cent. timbered Guildhall and Maltings (now houses). The village was recorded in Domesday as "Stokes" and appears on John Speed's 1610 map as "Smalebridge Stoke". The 1856 OS map shows it as "Stoke Beauchamp".

The west tower of the church can be seen for miles around and houses one of John Constable's paintings. Four protestant martyrs from the village were burnt in Bury in 1558.

Tendring Hall was owned by the Howard family (Dukes of Norfolk) until it was confiscated by Elizabeth I, who also executed Thomas Howard for trying to clandestinely marry Mary, Queen of Scots whilst she was in captivity. The hall was rebuilt in the 18th cent. and finally used as a POW camp in WW2 before it was demolished.

The Hare & Hounds in Leavenheath was in Stoke by Nayland until boundary changes in 1863, so may appear here in older documents. There was a Victoria Inn at one time in the village; we think this was possibly an old name for the Angel, as the building opposite (on the corner of Park St and Scotland St) appears in the Listed Buildings Register as Old Butcher's Shop occupied by K & K Electrical" as having previously been listed "opposite and to east of Victoria Inn". If you can confirm or refute this, or have any more information, please let us know. The Plough Leavenheath has also been listed in Stoke By Nayland.

The Thorington Street Rose is located in a small hamlet about 2km from the centre of the parish.

Acknowledgements

(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)