loading
X

Stanningfield

Photo from Stanningfield

1 Real Ale pub

closed premises


Useful links

Stanningfield is part of Bradfield Combust with Stanningfield parish.

Population (2011) of Bradfield Combust with Stanningfield parish: 578.


Local licensing authority for Stanningfield is St Edmundsbury.

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Map

About Stanningfield

The pub and most of the houses lie on Hoggards Green close to Bradfield Combust, with which the village has recently been merged to form a "super-parish". In Elizabethan times it was a centre of Roman Catholic recusancy. Coldham Hall was built in 1574 and contains priest holes and various escape routes leading to the chimney stacks and under the floor. The house was also used to hold illegal Mass ceremonies. One inhabitant of the hall, Ambrose Rokewode, was later executed for his part in the Gunpowder Plot; his horses were to have been used by the plotters to escape. The village sign shows Guy Fawkes holding a lighted taper to barrels of gunpowder.

A Romano-British pottery kiln, dating from the 3rd or 4th century was found in Stanningfield.

Stanningfield was recorded in Domesday as "Stanfella" or "Stanesfelda".

Acknowledgements

Some historical information from English Heritage's National Monuments Record.